Thursday, November 1, 2012

Will's Pilot Costume

I offered to make Will's costume this year. I thought it would be fun to try to follow a pattern, and Annie's costume was already done. I was happy to do it!

It's from this McCall's pattern. It was pretty idiot-proof, even for a non pattern-sewer like me. Except I messed up even before I got it home. I was very meticulous at the fabric store, buying the right notions and fabric, calling and texting reinforcements before I committed... 

I got it home and I had bought the wrong size.
Ooops.
Luckily JoAnn's was still having it's $.99 sale on McCall's patterns, so I just went and bought another. 

 The hardest part was the collar, but Kat helped me with it. We thrifted the white turtle neck. I think it totally makes the outfit (as do the sunglasses).

 JoAnn's had some amazing iron-on patches. I think little touches like this really make it look professional. And that is my first real zipper. Thank you, thank you.

Handsome boy.
I think he really liked it.

This whole thing makes me appreciate my mother and how talented she is at sewing apparel. Quilting is so easy compared to all the technicalities of a pattern. I enjoyed learning it though.

2 comments:

  1. Wow, that's classic. I bet he LOVED that. Talk about favorite aunt!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought Katie store bought the jumper and you put on the patches! Now I'm really impressed.

    ReplyDelete