Thursday, December 20, 2012

Heritage Quilt

This quilt came to me in a very round-about way. Long story short, someone found out I quilted, so I after a first unsuccessful attempt, they asked me to make this "heritage" quilt. It is for a little girl and all the squares are from clothing items of family members. When they asked me to do it, I immediately thought of this pattern I had in an old book. It's called an Autograph Quilt, and I ran with the idea.

 So after interfacing every single block, I came up with this. Her name is on the middle on the bottom row. Her parents are on each side, and it graduates all the way up to her great grandparents on the top row. 

They were originally going to write the names on with fabric marker, but I wanted to sew them in. (Read: add tons of extra work) It ended up being a lot of fun though. I used a dissappearing ink pen to write it in rough, then I sewed over it with my free motion foot. Thank you fourth grade cursive...

Green on the back.

 Stippled around the names. 

Stars on the border.

And a little helper through it all.
So glad to have this baby done for Christmas. It was a job.

1 comment:

  1. Just gorgeous! So much work! So beautiful! It will be a treasured heirloom for their family. My favorite is the 'baby' post at the end. She is adorable and so is her smile. Love you all.

    ReplyDelete