Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Twinner Quilts

These babies have been in the line up for a while now. A friend of mine paid me to make her twin  12 year old granddaughters quilts. The girls picked the color scheme, but I did everything else. I thought it would be fun to use the same color scheme and squares, but two do different patterns. I think they turned out super cute. They are lap size. About 48x58".

 Inspiration from my sister in law, here.

I could have quilted them tighter, but they stay softer this way. The squares were 4" finished, I think. That's a lot of triangles--572 to be exact. 

I found an amazing tutorial online of how to make these Half Square Triangles. Usually people cut out one square, and draw a line diagonally from corner to corner, then sew on either side of the line. This method is different, and much faster. Check out the video here, it's worth your time.

I'm not a huge purple fan, as in there isn't one speck in my stash, so this color scheme was outside my comfort zone. The backing is the same on both. Some people don't like the scrappy strip, but I do.

I entered this one into the county fair (the other one wasn't quite done yet). It's always fun to have your work judged. The best part is when you drop it off and the older ladies squeal in delight because they're so tickled to see a young girl like me quilting.

My score sheets were all over the place, from a 65 to an 85. They said my corners didn't come to 90 degrees and that my binding was "too full". I never knew that was an issue. Good to learn for next time, even if I was 3 points off of a blue ribbon :) Even if it was a red ribbon, I'm adding it to last year's

Now, on to start another quilt!

3 comments:

  1. That's cool that you entered it. It's funny that dropping it off was the best part. Dropping off my painting was the worst part of entering it into the art show. I was so overwhelmed with the quality and beauty of the other entries. It was super intimidating!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So fun Mary! I am super jealous of your skills. Maybe one day I will be able to settle down and try one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok, I would be charging an arm and a leg for all that hard work. You do such a good job Mary- don't give anyone a deal (except me of course :) You're a strong person to make these beautiful blankets and then give them away. I love the patterns and idea to do two different ones with the same colors as well and Tan thinks they look cool too. So much work girl. Nice job!

    ReplyDelete