Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Camera Strap Cover

These nylon straps aren't the most comfortable, so I set out to re-cover mine.
I like the idea of re-covering as opposed to replacing because it can be washed or changed out if I get tired of it.

First, I measured how wide my strap was. This will be different for everyone. Then I just added .5" to my measurement for seam allowance. 

I gathered scraps in varying lengths, but cut them all to the same width--around 1.5" You could do this with one big piece of fabric, but I wanted it to feel scrappy.

I sewed them all together until I had enough to cover the length of my strap (about 20"+).  After those were all pieced, I cut a strip of thin batting that was 1.25". I wanted to limit the bulk in the seams so that's why I cut it smaller than my fabric. 

 This is me making sure that it will fit. It should be about half the width of your batting, so when you fold it it fits snugly after seam allowance.

I chose to quilt in straight lines down the length of the whole thing. Then I just folded the raw edges on the ends over and stitched them for a finished look. Here's where I skimped too much. I wish I would have added a bit of wiggle room as far as the length goes. I ended up maybe .25" too short. But it's hardly noticeable. 

Here's what the finished piece looks like before you sew it to make the tube.

 I sewed right sides together and turned the whole thing. The easiest way for me to turn is to attach a large safety pin to one side of one end and use that to thread back through the tube. You could use a real turner thing, but I don't have one. It took a little work, but the finished piece looks great. 

After doing this, I think another easy way to do it is to just iron down your edges .25" and top stitch the whole thing, wrong sides together.

Thread it on, and there it is. 
A softer more stylish strap. 

3 comments:

  1. Where do you get all these fun ideas? Looks so fabulous. Everyone that sees it will be wanting one....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent! Thanks for the tute. I wonder if Tanner will let me get a camera like yours just so I can make a cute strap cover... I think I'm on to something.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So crafty! I've never been much of a crafter/sewer/DIY-er, but you seriously inspire me! Maybe it's because I am getting married and will have my own house to decorate and stuff but keep the fun stuff coming!Maybe one day I'll be able to add something on here!

    ReplyDelete