Friday, October 19, 2012

Chapter Book Bag

By Kathryn 

For birthdays lately, I have been making purses for my daughter's friends. It's cheaper, cuter, and way better than some toy that will be lost or broken. 

This one is for Hannah- she loves fairies and baking.


It has a ruffle flap. 

And a pink, secret pocket

This is the strap-- a trim I had leftover. 
Using trim or rick-rack is SO much easier and quicker than making a strap from fabric!

We personalized it with an appliqued "H." 
(I didn't do a "D" last time- curves are much harder!)
I interfaced the orange square, the letter, and the fairy fabric, to add strength. 

My favorite part about this project is working with my daughter on it. She really wants to learn to sew, and it's fun to share the skills. 

I also loved that we used no pattern, just ideas I had done before.
It's great to be able to make it just the width and length we wanted.

One more thing that made it nice? All the materials were from my stash. 

It's a quick, unique, personal gift we know she will love!


3 comments:

  1. Katie, I like your mind set. I have been making some little birthday gifts too (we must be related..) One of my best gifts I gave cost $1.25 and they absolutely loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is really cute Kat. What a nice gift!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great bags and fun that they are personalized. I have found that little girls and even big girls love bags. These are great. Aunt Betty

    ReplyDelete