Thursday, March 1, 2012

A new kitchen




Well.... I'm finally going to do a blog entry. First off thanks to Mary, Janet and whom ever else has gotten this thing going, it is one of the best ideas ever. I love seeing the posts and knowing that these are all people I love and care about who are doing such fun things. I can't wait to share my own ideas and eventually try to do my own blog.
But in getting back to the post. We have been working madly the past couple of months on redoing our kitchen. And even though it's not a real crafty-Grandma thing I want to share the finished product with you. And in it's own way I remember many a kitchen remodel with Mom. One memorable one was when we were adding on the the house in Alamo, it was such a beautiful kitchen and Daddy had let Mom design it totally on her own. The contractor who did the remodel was a fun guy, I can't remember his name, but I recall one day him spending the afternoon teaching us how he made pies in that new kitchen. It was so great and he was so good with us.
But, back to the kitchen.... I have needed some major overhaul on my kitchen and have been saving ideas for quite a while. I liked the idea of white cupboards that staggered up and down (cause that is the new thing) with a dark counter top (granite) and some sort of back splash (cause I'm a messy cook). I knew that we would have to do all the work because kitchen cost to much money to do a total redo. I wanted to keep a lot of my cabinets, they were well made and lasting in spite of a well used kitchen. The guy that did my original cabinets still lives in the area so I got him to make a few new boxes and then Gary and I took the old off and put on new shinny white paint. We added a new counter top and we even did the tile work for the back splash. With a new curtain and window sill the room was done. It has been so much fun to have this finally finished.

8 comments:

  1. Gorgeous! It looks so fresh and fun! You work so hard and then you have a beautiful result that you will enjoy for years to come. It seems like the kitchen is the heart of the home in many ways. Your home has always been so inviting and warm to all. Thanks for sharing! I love my kitchen--it is the exact same plan as the family home on Yucca.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it!!! It makes me smile, you deserve it. I think you are an amazing sister who is always willing to share your talents and thoughts with me. I can't wait to see it in person.
    Janet

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks great! I'm pretty sure I need to see it in person to get the full effect! I can't wait to see you and hope it is soon! Love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My jaw literally dropped when I saw it! I love all the choices you made. The molding at the top with the different heights is awesome. I think the cabinet color brings so much light into the room. Amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome! I love your white cabinets! Nice work!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for sharing! It looks great- so light and lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So fun! I have such big shoes to fill with awesome aunts and cousins! Love you all!!

    ReplyDelete