Sunday, May 6, 2012

Draperies- A New Passion

I was talking to mom the other night. I was in crisis mode. I am sewing draperies for a lady and I had somehow got a spot on the fabric. Well it went clear across the 4 widths of completed drapes. I took it into the dry cleaners and they were able to remove it. Anyway back to talking with mom. I was concerned that the sizing in the fabric felt different after dry cleaning and had asked her to come over and see if she could see or feel a difference. Anyway we felt that things would be okay but she said to me..."Janet, you love to learn." And I truly do. I just with both feet into what ever I am learning at the time. I try to do my best and then it becomes a passion. Just like photography or graphic arts, I loved learning nursing skills. I love to quilt, cook, sew and I feel so accomplished after I finish. This is a skill my parents have taught me though. I love to learn because our home was always a learning home. From playing Rook on Sunday night and counting cards to bottling fruit in the summer. We all learned.

Well back to my drapes. I have been filling my spare time with sewing from a real fun lady. She sells and designs I sew. She called me and asked if I could do pinched pleats. Well years ago when Paige was(3) and BettyJo(1) I sewed a set of pinched pleats with Aunt Donnetta.
Well not quite an expert but I felt I could try. I called Betty because she is soooo smart and asked her to help. She came down for a week and together we finished 6 panels of pinch pleat draperies.

I went to Las Vegas and installed them last week and they were absolutely amazing, beautiful, fun and the lady was so pleased. So here are some pictures of them:




It was so fun working with Betty...I hope she will come help again.

Here are a couple of sets of windows I recently completed. I am learning lots and love doing it. The homes are mainly high end and alot of retirement people. It is really great.







2 comments:

  1. Wow. Those are fancy! The photography isn't bad either :) Great work.

    ReplyDelete