Thursday, January 26, 2012

Mom taught me to sew!!

This past week I was working with a bunch of Activity Day Girls teaching them how to embroider.  I have so many memories of sitting and watching, helping or learning homemaking skills from Mom.  I remember making dresses for dolls, pulling threads for a fancy tablecloth (in 4-H) to determine the right place to cut so it was square.  I remember her teaching me to embroider; lazy daisies and french knots were always the favorite.  I remember some fun fancy cookies that were made in 4-H that were layers with coconut, chocolate chips and nuts.  So many fun times at the kitchen counter or sitting and learning at her knee.  As I do this with my own granddaughters it brings such fun memories back and a desire to pass it down.  Right now my little granddaughters think that Grandma can do such wonderful things in the kitchen and sewing room and all these skills started with my Mom.  Happy Birthday Mom, thanks for all you have taught me and for the patience and love you have always shown. Have a great Birthday!!!   Love ya, Betty
 Janet & I at a fashion show in Alamo.  I made my dress and mom made Janet's.  We modeled and were judged.

2 comments:

  1. What would we do without our mothers? I love yours as if she were my own! She taught me many skills as well. We love you, Mom. Happy Birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those picture are AWESOME!!! I'm so happy to hear from Aunt Betty-- I've been waiting! Sewing from my mom and grandmas is definitely a heritage for me!

    ReplyDelete