Thursday, January 26, 2012

Pecans, Anyone?

For Grandma's birthday, I baked her a pecan pie.  It is one of her favorite desserts.
I found a new recipe (NOT the Karo syrup version--I don't think I'll be doing that one again).  
 I think this is worth sharing:

PECAN PIE


  • 1 cup light brown sugar
  • ¼ cup white sugar
  • ½ cup butter, barely melted
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 tablespoon plus 2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
  • 1 tablespoon milk
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • 1½ cups chopped pecans

  1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
  2. In a large bowl, beat eggs until foamy. Mix flour with sugars. Add to eggs and beat.  Mix in melted butter, milk, and vanilla. Stir in nuts by hand.
  3. Pour into an unbaked 9-in pie shell. Cover edges with foil. Bake in preheated oven for 10 minutes at 400 degrees, then reduce temperature to 350 degrees and bake for 35 to 40 minutes, or until done. As soon as the top of the pie is a light golden brown color, cover it lightly with a sheet of foil to prevent over-browning.  Towards the end of the baking time, if the pie is not brown enough for your liking, remove one or both foils the last few minutes.
Hey, I might as well throw this in.
 This is from a Bunkerville Ward cookbook that Grandma gave me years ago:

PIE CRUST (makes 3 - 4 single crusts)

3 cups flour 
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups Crisco
1 egg
milk

Mix salt and flour. Cut shortening into flour with a pastry blender. Put egg in measuring cup and fill up to 1 cup with milk. Blend well. Add to flour mixture, stirring with a fork until barely blended.  Roll out crusts. (For baked shells for cream pies, bake at 450 degrees about 7 minutes, or until lightly browned.)

Memories:  I loved going to Vegas with Grandma when I was a newlywed. 
 We had long visits in the car--a great chance to get to know my fabulous new mother-in-law.
Also, once when John was a newborn, I became very ill.  
Grandma took me in, put me to bed, and took care of our every need until I was better.
She's taught me so very many things--from homemaking skills to her philosophy of life.  
She he has always made me feel like one of her own daughters.  Happy Birthday! 
Love, Lynne

2 comments:

  1. That looks yummy, Mom! I'll have to try it out. I love that you and Grandma both love nuts, even when your husbands can't have any. I love them too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yummy is right! Thanks for sharing! Fun memories I didn't know about too :) Love you Grandma!

    ReplyDelete